Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce

I have been making spaghetti sauce in the crock pot lately, and wanted to jot down how I am doing it so I won' forget.    I haven't priced it out, but making it this way has got to be cheaper than buying the jarred stuff.    One batch made 4 8x8 lasagnes that I then froze for eating later on busy days.

Spaghetti Sauce
printer friendly

6 lbs or so of ground beef
3 onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 large cans tomato puree
3 bay leaves
3 T. Italian seasoning  (I've been using Penzey's pizza seasoning because I have several free samples)
Salt, pepper and sugar, to taste

Brown ground beef in a skillet and place in the crock pot, draining grease.   After last batch, add onions and garlic to pan and saute until softened.   Add tomato puree, bay leaves and Italian seasoning, stir until everything is well mixes.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low on 8 hours.   Add salt and pepper and sugar (about a couple tablespoons) to taste. 

This makes a very rich meaty sauce that the whole family loves.  I'll do some investigating later to figure out how I could pressure can it safely, but for now, I am not sure yet.   It can be frozen instead.

1 comment:

Melissa Gentile said...

Any info on pressure canning this yet?
Thanks!