Friday, May 01, 2009

BBQ sauce

We made smoked beef brisket for Easter dinner, and it was great. I bought a half brisket, but it takes just as long to make as a whole one, so next time we'll make a whole one. Our recipe was a hybrid of Food Network recipes. I can't remember which rub we used....I don't think it really matters. Tonight, I made pork chops with Alton Brown's Rub #9, which is simply:

5 parts brown sugar, 3 parts chili powder, 1 part garlic powder, 1/2 part ground thyme, 1/4 part cayenne, and 1/4 part allspice

And I served those pork chops with this BBQ sauce. It rocks! I had it left over from Easter, mostly because I should have made a whole brisket instead of a half. It took 8 hours to cook.

The BBQ sauce I made is based on one by Wood Chick, who beat Bobby Flay in a Food Network Throw Down. I despise Bobby Flay, so I am glad whoever Wood Chick is, she beat him. I made a few tweaks to her recipe....it was delicious. Here it is...


Mothers Kitchen BBQ sauce
printer friendly

1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons butter
1 can tomato paste
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup chili sauce
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Put all the stuff in a pan, bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments: