Saturday, March 21, 2009

Falafel

I bought some falafel mix out of the bulk food bins at the People's Food Coop in Ann Arbor when I started on my vegetarian odyssey 25 days ago. I like falafel, but I have never made it at home. I decided to make Olga bread to go with it. I mixed equal parts falafel mix and water and formed 2" diameter balls. To cook them, I heated about 1/2" vegetable oil in a cast iron frying pan, and placed the balls in the hot oil. I smashed them down a little with the spatula, and then cooked both sides until they were a nice toasted brown color.

I really loved the sauce I made for them...I have no idea what is in the traditional falafel sauce, so I improvised. I don't want to forget what I did, so I had to blog it ASAP. I served my falafel patties in the Olga bread with slices of cucumber, red onion, tomato and fresh cilantro leaves. I made some grilled chicken for everyone else to eat in the family, and no one ate it. Even my meat and potatoes husband loved this dinner!

Mother's Kitchen Falafel Sauce

1 c. Greek style 2% fat yogurt
4 cloves garlic, minced in a spoonful of kosher salt
4 inches or so of an English hothouse cucumber, grated
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
Kosher salt, to taste

Mix all ingredients together and add more kosher salt until it tastes great. You will know it when you taste it that you've added enough.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

How could they resist with the Olga bread to go with it! I had a horrible experience years ago with a baked falafel mix that used tofu and have refused to try making it at home since. Perhaps it's time.