Saturday, January 22, 2022

Michigan Tech Favorites

Winter Carnival circa 1985

 

It's getting to be that time of year again! Winter Carnival at Michigan Tech is my favorite winter thing.   Over the years, I've put together my favorite Houghton inspired recipes, so I thought I would share a list of them here so my fellow alums might find them all in one place:

Library Bar:

Red Chili This is the chili that Jon Davis used to serve out of the back of a van during the all nighter statue building

Swiss Onion Au Gratin Soup  An alum favorite!  


Ambassador:

Tostada Pizza  My take on their most popular pizza

Fishbowls  They are smaller now then they were in the 80s, but still good.


Jampot

Thimbleberry Jam They make theirs with added pectin, I don't.   

Mocha Cupcakes  So good!  It's my first choice when I am there.   


Onigaming Supper Club

Spinach Salad  The restaurant is no longer, but I sure love this salad.   Wish it would come back!

The Summer Place

Steak Marinade  It burned down years ago, but the food there was so good.  I was happy to finally get a copy of their cookbook they published in the 90s.  

Lemon Loaf   Perfect with some Chassell strawberries

Local favorites:

Pannukakku Kaleva or Suomi has the best!

Pasties  I am pretty particular about my pasties.   My favorites in the Keweenaw are Suomi Restaurant in Houghton, Kaleva in Hancock, Connie's Kitchen in Calumet, and the Mohawk Superette.   I used to love the vegetarian pasties they served at the MTU Union, so I tried my hand at making them.  The Keweenaw Co-op has the best ones currently in the Keweenaw.

Miscowaubik Club Potatoes  I never got to go there as a student, but have visited many times as an alum. 

No comments: