Sunday, April 30, 2017

Rhubarb Custard Pie

This is my second year of donating a "Pie of the Month" to my church's annual silent auction.   For this month,  I tried a new recipe for rhubarb custard pie.   I really enjoyed Beth Howard's book Making Piece: love, life and pie and her cookbook Ms. American Pie.   I've always fantasized about opening some kind of pie emporium like Linda Hundt and her Sweetie-Licious Pie Cafe in DeWitt.  But the fact is, when I retire, I really don't want to be responsible for anything.   Making a pie once a month is good enough for me.  

I'm usually a rhubarb purist......no strawberry in my rhubarb, thanks.   But Beth Howard's rhubarb custard pie sounded really good to me today, so I made 2 pies.....one for us and one for the  Pie of the Month Club winner Liz.   Here's how I made it:

Rhubarb Custard Pie

For the crust:  one double crust Vodka Pie Crust recipe

For the filling

1.5 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 t cinnamon
3 eggs
5 cups (or thereabouts) fresh rhubarb, chopped in 1/4 inch slices

1 beaten egg, to brush on top of crust

Prepare the pie crust.  To make the filling, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl.   Beat eggs and mix with dry ingredients.  Add rhubarb and pour into crush.  Cover with top crust and brush with beaten egg.   Bake at 425F for 20 minutes and then turn down temp to 375 and bake for 30 minutes longer.   

Happy spring!  Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

I love all things 'rhubarb.' Mine is starting to explode in my garden as I write this. Time for new recipes, and this one looks spot on. Nothing better than a homemade pie.