Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spice Rack Challenge: Baby Turnips with Rosemary

I bought some baby turnips at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market a couple weeks ago....they must be a hoophouse friendly crop...with the thought of pickling them a la Momofuku, but I never got around to it.   In a hurry to make a side for dinner the other night, I found them rolling around in the bottom of the crisper drawer.   So I decided to make them with some rosemary, garlic and olive oil and this dish was a complete hit at our house.  My son ate 2 helpings!

Baby Turnips with Rosemary

1 lb. baby turnips, trimmed.  Cut larger ones in half
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 T fresh rosemary leaves (or 1/2 T. dried)
2 T olive oil
kosher salt

Put all ingredients in a microwave safe dish and stir until oil coats all the turnips.  Cover with a lid and leave a vent and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.

4 comments:

Nicole Pearce said...

Turnips are one of those sad unloved vegetables. I absolutely love them and can never find enough recipes for them. Thanks for sharing.

mla said...

Yes--thanks for the recipe. I'm always a little hesitant to pick up a new (to me) veggie, since when I do they tend to end up turning to sludge in the crisper drawer before I can figure out what to do with them. Next time I see baby turnips, I'll snap them up--this sounds really yummy!

sauvageblue said...

I love turnips raw, cooked and pickled. I would have never thought to combine with rosemary I will have to try this out....

Dean Charrington said...

A great idea for a much maligned root veggie: I’ll be trying this soon.