Sunday, January 07, 2024

New Year, New Baby

 


We had a baby shower for my daughter in law Olivia yesterday.   My first grandbaby!  The food was delicious, many of the ladies brought yummy food to pass.  I made some mini cheese balls (shown above) from my favorite cheeseball recipe formed in half inch balls that  I rolled in ground pecans.   This is so much more convenient than a whole cheeseball for a large crowd.  I made a great recipe for Mediterranean Turkey Pinwheels I found on the interwebs that was delicious and easy.   I made them a day ahead and wrapped them in waxed paper tightly.   I cut them with a serrated knife and secured them with a toothpick.   I also made an old favorite appetizer recipe for mini pasties that my friend Leah reminded me about.   Years ago, I clipped this recipe out of the late great Ann Arbor News Food section, but I misplaced it.  She shared it in our fb group.  I tweaked it a little to match our tastebuds, but it was just as good as I remembered. 

Little Pasties

Dough

1 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup evaporated milk
2 ½ cups flour
1 t salt

In a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese and beat in milk. Add flour and salt. Chill dough well.

Filling

2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced very fine
2 t thyme
2 T Tabasco sauce
3 slices bread
1/4 c. evaporated milk

Egg wash
1 egg
1 t. water. 

Brown meat and onion, breaking meat into small crumbles and drain excess fat. Soak bread slices in milk, gently squeeze out excess water and then add to meat. Add thyme and Tabasco. Mix well (best to use a potato masher to blend in the bread into the meat). Set aside to cool.

Roll out dough to 1/8” thick and cut out 2” or 2 ½” circles using a biscuit cutter. Mix 1 egg with 1 t water and use wash on edge of dough circles, add meat mixture and use a fork to seal edges. Brush finished pasty with egg wash.

Freeze uncooked. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

It was a delicious spread!  I am looking forward to more cooking in the New Year!

No comments: