Saturday, December 19, 2020

Peanut Brittle


We are moving to our lakehouse in the upper peninsula soon, so I am trying as best I can to use up whatever I have in the pantry.   I had a bag of kettle roasted salted peanuts and a jar of corn syrup. so I decided to make peanut brittle as part of my holiday baking.  Even though I am an accomplished candy maker, I don't think I have ever made peanut brittle before!  Doing some research, the recipes were all over the board.   I knew I wanted to use my instant read thermometer (a must for candy making).  I don't like to try guessing with "soft ball stage", etc.  I also wanted a recipe that used a lot of peanuts and corn syrup.   I couldn't find a recipe that had everything I was looking for, so I experimented.    

Here is what I came up with:

Peanut Brittle 

 2 cups granulated sugar
 1 cup water
 ½ cup light corn syrup
 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
 3 cups salted kettle roasted peanuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon water
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 200 F

Line2  rimmed baking sheets with  parchment paper that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray; place in oven to keep warm

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, 20 to 25 minutes until temp reaches 240F.  Make a mixture of vanilla, baking soda and water in a small bowl, set aside.  Stir in butter and peanuts. and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until temp reaches 300F.  

Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla mixture, it will foam up.   Stir until mixture is no longer bubbling and caramel is smooth, 1 minute.   Remove sheets from oven.

Pour half of the mixture into each of the sheets and quickly spread with a lightly greased spatula.  The thinner the better!   Let cool until firm, about 15 minutes. Break into pieces. The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.



No comments: