Sunday, August 09, 2020

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread

 

It's that time of year again, when I have way too much zucchini and basil.    I've never loved zucchini bread with warm autumnal spices like cinnamon and nutmeg mid summer.  Looking for something different to do with it, I came upon a recipe for lemon poppy seed zucchini bread that I knew I could make work with what I had in the fridge after a few tweaks. The original recipe used Greek yogurt but all I had was light sour cream, so I chose that instead.   Also, I opted for more lemon than the original recipe suggested.   Lastly, I garnished with my beautiful basil my daughter Jane and I grew this year.    To make this a true covid remembrance, I grated this zucchini during a webex meeting while I was waiting for my turn to present.....#covidblessings.    One of the joys of working from home!!!! 

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread

for the loaves
2 sticks butter room temperature
3/4 cup low fat sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
2 cups sugar
juice and zest from one lemon, (save one tablespoon and half the zest for the glaze
3 eggs3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 cups zucchini, grated (about one large zucchini)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp poppy seeds

for the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice reserved from above
extra lemon zest and basil leaves, for garnish if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray two 8 1/2 inch x 4 inch bread pans with baking spray (the kind that has the flour in it) and set aside.  Beat the butter, sour cream, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl until smooth and combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.  In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and half the lemon zest, whisk to combine. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.

Stir in the zucchini, vanilla extract and poppy seeds until evenly distributed. Try not to over stir. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

For the Glaze:

Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the bread and garnish with lemon zest and garnish with basil leaves. t if desired. Store bread in an airtight container. Or, wrap tightly and freeze one loaf for later. 

No comments: