Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Lakehouse Cooking: Cheater Pulled Pork

I have been making pulled pork by this method for years now. which I originally heard about on Splendid Table back in the Lynn Rosetto Kasper days.   The original method was described in this cookbook by Mindy Merrell and R.B. Quinn, who are Nashville based food writers.  I'm a huge fan of Nashville food....



This cookbook is all about using liquid smoke to create BBQ flavor indoors.  For my pulled pork, I use a half bottle of liquid smoke and whatever rub I feel like making.    I buy my pork straight from the farmer so I have the butcher cut up my roasts into steaks for easier cubing.  This recipe is great for when we have guests at our lake house, because we can put it in the crock pot and forget about it all day and go up to Copper Harbor or hiking or whatever, and dinner will be ready when we get back to the house.   I buy some crusty rolls and the best bottled BBQ sauce I can find.   Super easy!


For the pork:


One 5- to 6-pound boneless Boston butt pork roast or same weight of boneless country-style pork ribs
1/4 cup of your favorite rub  (I like Alton Brown's Rub #9)
1/2 cup bottled smoke (I like hickory)
Barbecue sauce of your choice


Since I don't often have Rub #9 mixed up at the lakehouse, I will make a simple rub with what I often have on hand here:

2 T paprika
2 T kosher salt
2 T coarsely ground black pepper
1 T garlic powder
2 T dry mustard



Cut the pork butt into medium (2- to 3-inch) chunks (the ribs don't need to be cut up).  Put the pieces in a large slow cooker. Sprinkle the meat with the rub, turning the pieces to coat evenly. Add the bottled smoke. Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 10 to 12 hours, until the meat is pull-apart tender.   Using tongs and a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a rimmed platter or baking sheet. Let rest until cool enough to handle. Pull the meat into strands. It should shred very easily. Serve the barbecue piled on buns with your favorite barbecue sauce.


No comments: