Sunday, January 25, 2015

Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie

I've been traveling often for work, which means I can't cook dinner for my family.    So, I've been trying to come up with things I can make ahead.   I had read that pot pie was good to make ahead and freeze, so I gave it a shot.   I didn't freeze this batch as the guys will bake them for their supper tonight, and save the little ones for lunches later this week while I am gone.




I cooked the filling first, and then topped it with my Old Reliable Pie Crust: I halved the recipe and made it with half shortening and half butter because that's what I had.   Here's how I made the filling:

Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie filling

2 T butter
1 med onion, diced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 lb chicken breast or chicken tenders, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 t. dried thyme
1 can low sodium chicken broth
2 t. flour
1 c. frozen peas
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg, well beaten

In a dutch oven, melt the butter and add the onions and mushrooms, and saute until soft.   Add chicken carrots celery and thyme and broth and cook on medium until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.   Add flour to a measuring cup and enough water to make a slurry, add to chicken mixture and cook on high until thickened.   Taste and adjust seasonings.   Add frozen peas and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, make the crust.    Ladle chicken into oven safe bowls, top with pie crust.  Poke holes in the top.   Brush with beaten egg.   Wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze.

To cook, preheat oven to 350F .  Unwrap pot pies and place on a baking sheet.   Bake for 1 hour, or until; crust is browned and filling is bubbling.

1 comment:

Mrs. G said...

That looks so very delicious, thanks for sharing it!