Sunday, August 19, 2012

Taste of Home Magazine - Then and Now

I picked up a vintage Taste of Home cookbook at the Dexter Daze Library Book Sale, and I am so glad.   I just love the old Taste of Home Magazine - when it was founded back in 1993, it was full of folksy witticisms like "My Moms Best Meal" and "Hail, Hail the Gang's All Here" for when you are looking for a recipe that would feed 100 people.  It was the kind of recipes Grandma used to make.   I'm not sure when the magazine changed to it's current format, which is very commercially oriented with tons of product placements,  but it has certainly lost its soul.  The closest thing you can get to it is a Penzey's Catalog, which tells the stories of it's recipe authors.  So whenever I can find an old TOH cookbook, I pick it up.  And this book is from it's inaugural year, 1993.  

Some of the recipes I have bookmarked for trying include:

Upside Down Apple Gingerbread - sounds delicious for fall
Sloppy Joes for 100 - between football and Boy Scouts, I know this is going to come in handy.
Southern Fried Baked Steak - something new to do with round steak
Spicy Rice Casserole - I've got lots of pork sausage in the freezer; I bought half a hog from the neighbor kid.
Cajun Corn Soup sounds like it would be a great pantry meal
Scotch Broth Soup - something I can make with all my soup bones.  I just bought a side of beef.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum those sound tastey.

fourbluesixpink said...

I agree - I loved this magazine when it first came out and for that first ten years or so. I was disappointed when I picked up a copy years later and found the format had changed and the paper was not as nice. It was not nearly as pleasing to look at, and I never purchased it again.