Saturday, June 12, 2010

Strawberry Jam canning demo at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market

Today, I will be demonstrating how to put up strawberry jam without boxed pectin with my friend Ellen Bunting from Growing Hope.   I like to use the pectin found naturally in lemons and apples to make sure my jam sets up.    The recipe I'll be using can be found here.   It has been so rainy that I'm sure the pectin content in this year's berries will be low, so to make sure I have a good set, I am going to rely on temperature to make sure my jam has boiled long enough.   Jams and jellies should be boiled until they are at the jell point (8 degrees above the boiling point of water).  At sea level, that's 220F.    Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

lookinout said...

I'm pretty sure I can find out how far above sea level I am. But I didn't know about the different boiling pint of water. Is there a site to look it up on, or a calculation to do? It's always interesting when you post.
Gillian