Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Good things I have found lately....

Shopping at the not so famous farmer's markets around here

Every Tuesday evening this summer, I try to shop at our tiny Dexter Farmer's Market. The prices are great, and very often I am the only person shopping. It's next door to our new library, so I get to do two of my favorite things at the same time - shop for fruits and vegetables and check out library books. Every time I go the DFM, I try to buy something from everyone there. Right now, everyone basically has the same things - peppers, tomato, basil, etc. I bought some wonderful Santa Rosa plums that squirted juice all over the front of my work clothes. The gentleman that sold me the plums quickly got me a damp paper towel. I try to buy something each week off the high school girl who is saving for college. I bought cabbage off of a guy that recently lost his job. He presented me with a lovely bouquet of red zinnias because he values me as a loyal DFM customer. I was so surprised and delighted! They are on my desk at work.

Christopher Kimball's Letters From Vermont

Every so often, I get an email from Christopher Kimball from Cook's Illustrated. Granted, I am sure they are intended to be subtle advertisements, but I love reading them anyway, just like I love his essays each month at the beginning of Cook's Illustrated. I love hearing his stories of living in Vermont. Bonus: Evidently there now is a Cook's Country TV show on PBS. I am looking forward to checking it out.

Port Crescent and Sleeper State Park Camping

These are both in Michigan's Thumb. We camped last weekend at Sleeper and it was great. I can't wait to try Port Crescent - it is like camping right on the beach. We also bought some Candy Stick sweet corn that I froze, as well as 50 lbs of Michigan potatoes for $5. Why anyone bothers to grow potatoes is beyond me? They are so cheap to buy around here. I am hoping I can root cellar my potatoes for the winter by putting them in the garage. Last year I did that with pears and they lasted all winter.

2 comments:

lookinout said...

I'd love to hear more about cellaring potatoes and pears. I doubt it is possible in my garage as it gets very cold, 20 - 30 degrees below freezing, however...
Gillian

Diana Dyer said...

I squirted Santa Rosa plum juice all over myself, too. Fortunately I did it privately at home and not in good work clothes! Once I got the hang of eating them without making a major mess of myself, I just gobbled a whole handful. :-)