Friday, April 04, 2008

Sunshine Farm and Garden

There's a great herb and dried flower farm in Wixom that I have visited and taken classes at called Sunshine Farm and Garden. They have a wonderful collection of herbs for your garden and also teach some great herbal craft classes. I've taken a few wreath making classes there and learned quite a bit. Many of their classes are free. It's located near Proud Lake Recreation area, which I haven't been to since I was a Girl Scout camper, and I need to remember to visit it when I go to buy herbs this year. I just got their 2008 catalog, and it features some recipes I am eager to try:

FLOWER PUNCH:
2 C water
2/3 C sugar
3 tablespoons fresh mint (cut up)
1 C orange juice
1/2 C lemon juice
2 C strong brewed regular tea
1 liter bottle club soda, chilled
1 large stem of lavender, or borage flowers
rose, calendula or pansy petals
Flower Ice Cubes or Ice Ring

Place water, sugar, mint and lavender or borage in a large stainless steel pan. Bring to boiling, Remove and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth lined colander. Add orange juice, lemon juice and tea to flavored water, chill. Just before serving, add chilled club soda. Sprinkle punch with edible flowers and serve with ice cubes or ring. Makes about 3 qts or 16 servings.

LAVENDER COOKIES

2 eggs
3 c. flour
1 c. butter
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. lavender flowers, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, dry ingredients, and flavorings. Drop a teaspoon at a time on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes at 350° . Makes 5 or 6 dozen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely check out this garden - thanks for the info.

We camped at Proud Lake last summer. It was a lot of fun - we rode canoes on the lake and hiked in the woods. The camping site itself was a bit "urban," as my friends called it (it was more like a parking lot than a campground). In any case, it's still a neat area and I'll be sure to check it out this spring.