Saturday, January 12, 2008

Crockpot Collards

I based this off of a recipe I saw in Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food". I was a little nervous, based on what I have read about them, that they would stink up the house, but they didn't at all. The "potlikker" was awesome!

Crockpot Collards
2 lbs. washed collard greens, stems removed, and cut in 2 inch pieces
1/2 c. cider vinegar
3 c. water
2 smoked ham hocks

Put greens in crock pot, add water and vinegar, and put hocks on top. Cook for 10 hours on low. Remove hocks and cut up meat and sprinkle on top, if the idea of eating ham hocks doesn't turn you off. Serve with Franks Hot Sauce and a side of cornbread.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish more people knew about collard greens - they're so packed with flavor and nutrients. I never thought to use the crockpot to make them. I'll have to give this a try this winter.

Anonymous said...

I second that. We got some with our farm share this past spring and I cooked up a whole bunch. Even though I usually avoid pork, I sucked it up and used bacon and bacon grease in the recipe. Yum-mee.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for the lovely coconut cupcakes and for a fun, good time! See you soon!

JB said...

can you do this for half the time on high heat crockpot? precooked the hocks/browned -
jb

JB said...

Can you do this in half the time by cooking on high - ? i've browned/precooked the hocks and added onions as well...
thanks for the recipe -

jb

Eatie Gourmet said...

I know this post goes back a few years, but I just found this blog...
I do a similar dish, in the crock pot, with smoked turkey necks and kale, or collards, (I just prefer kale). Easier on the heart and when I eat it I feel like Popeye eating his 'spinachk', I can Feel the goodness of it going into me!