Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Fresh Raspberry Bars

 


It's been awhile since I posted.  I realize it is now September already, and it's 48 F here at the lakehouse and the air is starting to smell like fall.    July and August got past me, which is unusual, but with all this construction going on, I will have to cut myself some slack.    We finally got our kitchen appliances in, and it took a long while until I could bake anything because the backsplash needed to be installed before the vent hood, which needed the countertops in which were backordered, etc.   I couldn't start baking for the construction crew until early August.  Until then, I'd get them some "bakery" which is how they say it up here...when you buy baked goods instead of making them.   Luckily for me, I was able to start baking right when my raspberries were ripe in early August. 

The first thing I made for them was fresh raspberry bars.  These came out great!  We had a ton of raspberries this year, which was wonderful because the thimbleberries were a bust this year.   Not enough water, I guess.   It has barely rained this summer and there has been many forest fires, even one on Isle Royale.   



Fresh Raspberry Bars

3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup shortening
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 375F

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. With your fingers, pinch in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs and extract. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar; add berries and gently toss. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

I'll try to catch up on my blogging this week to make up for lost time.   Today, we have the usual 3 carpenters here trimming out  and a couple of electricians so I will have to make more baked goods than usual.   



No comments: