Sunday, January 05, 2020

Paprika Salad Dressing



I really do need to scale back my cookbook collection.     We will be retiring one day and moving to our lakehouse in the Keweenaw, and there's no way I can move my entire cookbook collection.    I am going to need to KonMari my cookbook collection.  My problem is that they all spark joy for me!  Just yesterday, I allowed myself to peruse the cookbook section of the Dexter Library used book sale, and I was thrilled to find a copy of the 2002 Taste of Home Annual Recipes.   I now only need 2003 to complete my collection from the 2000s. 


I adore old TOH cookbooks from back in the day.    I love to read the corny head notes for each recipe.  Ladies are always promising great things from the recipes they have submitted.      A recipe for paprika salad dressing caught my eye....Sharon Nichols from Brookings, SD assures me that "fresh greens really perk up with this zesty homemade dressing".    I decided to jazz her recipe up with some apple cider vinegar and honey and smoked instead of sweet paprika.   Plus more hot sauce. It is spectacular!

Paprika Salad Dressing

1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c mayonnaise
2 T steak sauce
1/4 t kosher salt
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t celery seed
1/2 t Tabasco sauce
1 T. honey
2 T. apple cider vinegar

Put all ingredients in a jar and shake until well blended.


I'm trying to eat more vegetables in the new year, like every year.    I am looking forward to some salads made with this outstanding dressing.   I had some light sour cream left over from another recipe and normally I find light sour cream kind of a let down, but this dressing has so much flavor I didn't even notice that it was missing anything. 

No comments: