Saturday, August 17, 2019

Thimbleberry Jam 2019


It was a cold wet spring in the Keweenaw, so the thimbleberries were a bit late this year, which was lucky for me because it aligned with our August vacation.   I had a little over 2 lbs of frozen berries from a couple summers ago, and we picked about 4.5 lbs of berries this year. 



How I make jam is equal parts, by weight, with sugar.  That's it - no pectin needed.   We were short on jelly jars here at the lakehouse....they must all be downstate.   I went to Swifts to buy lids, not realizing I had way too many up here already.   I am short lids at home, my canning kitchens have become unbalanced.  


One of the best purchases I have ever made for canning is the outdoor canning rig I got several years ago.  I love canning outside!  Our total yield for this year was 112 oz. for about 9 hours of work total, including picking.    

No comments: