Saturday, March 15, 2014

Triple Ginger Cookies

It's a lovely sunny day today...39 degrees and I've got spring fever.   I've bought my seed starting supplies, and after this very long winter, my mind is all about gardening.   I can't wait to plant moonflower and Mexican sunflower again, and I've got 3 kinds of blight resistant tomatoes recommended by Mother Earth News.  But the fact is that it's going to be below zero again on Monday....spring fever notwithstanding.

I know this time of year, we want to think of spring foods - I saw asparagus for sale at the supermarket.   But for a moment, consider ginger cookies.  Yes, I know they sound like Christmas cookies, but ginger cookies will warm you up right now.   These cookies, which I first heard about on The Splendid Table, are wonderful.    I made them last fall in the shape of footballs and piped some stitching on them for a tailgate party,  but they are great just the way they are.


Triple Ginger Cookies
makes about 30 cookies

3/4 c butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 1/4 c flour
2 t ground ginger
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 T minced fresh ginger root
1/2 c chopped crystallized ginger

In a mixer fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Beat in the egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking soda and salt. Stir into the molasses mixture. Add the fresh and crystallized gingers. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Shape the dough into 1" balls and place about 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and cool on wire racks. These cookies freeze well.

These cookies will sooth your winter weary soul!  They would be outstanding also made into a tropical ice cream sandwich with a scoop of coconut ice cream.

No comments: