Monday, April 16, 2012

Mango Tomatillo Salsa

When Whole Foods opened their first store in Ann Arbor, it was in a small store front on the other end of town.    I loved shopping there because it was earthy and very charming in an Ann Arbor "granola head" kind of way.  In addition to buying organic food, I'd buy patchouli scented bath salts and I had my first chair massage ever at the checkout of that store.  But then, they moved into bigger digs and built a big store in a strip mall known for its crappy parking.   I found myself going there less and less because the stress of parking would get me down.  I felt the new store lost its soul.   Then, another store joined the first in Ann Arbor - this time, closer to my side of town.   By then, I had fully embraced the local food movement, and if it wasn't seasonal and I didn't personally know the farmer who grew it, I didn't go out of my way to buy it.   

However, like many moms of teenagers, I found myself shopping at WF more often.   I'd like to say it was because I wanted my cherubs to eat organic whole foods, but the sad fact of the matter it was because it was conveniently located next to an REI and a Gamestop.  Then, WF started to embrace the local food movement and carrying more of the foods I am interested in buying, plus their house brand 365 put their prices more into my price range than the "Whole Wallet" moniker they had earned.  Plus, they are planning on opening a store in the Detroit city limits.   I think they have got their groove back!

When their marketing staff asked me if I would like to write about Ataulfo mangoes from Mexico, I readily agreed.   We will never have local mangoes here in Michigan, so I have no qualms buying mangoes grown in Mexico.   I stopped by to pick up my mangoes and while I was there, it was pizza Wednesday, where you can get a large pizza for $9.99, which is a great deal for a good tasting pizza. While I was waiting for it to be done, I enjoyed some wine from the wine bar.   I think WF is the only grocery store where you can drink wine or beer while you shop! 

What to make of my mangoes?  I decided to go with a salsa.   I served this salsa as a topping for sauteed chicken breasts, and it would go equally well on top of broiled fish.  Or it can be eaten with tortilla chips.  Ataulfo mangoes would also be wonderful in one of my favorite condiment canning recipes, Major Grey's chutney.    Give them a try - they are only around for a short season!  If you are not sure how to cut up a mango, here is a video to show you how.

Mango Tomatillo Salsa

4-6 peppers - I used a combo of habanero, cubanelle, red jalapeno.  (we like spicy!)
4 cloves garlic
juice of one lime
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 mangoes, (they don't have to be very ripe) diced in 1/2 inch cubes
2 tomatillos, diced
Kosher salt - to taste, at least 1 teaspoon

In a food processor, process peppers, garlic and lime juice and cilantro until it is chopped fine.   Add the mixture to the mangoes and tomatillos and combine.  Add salt to taste.




2 comments:

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

I live by that first Whole Foods. Yes, the parking is nuts! I go there for my seafood in particular. I just find it better than regular grocery store seafood. I miss the old one too, but I'm happy that Trader Joe's is there. I'm going to try this salsa on chicken and goat cheese quesadillas. Thanks for posting!

noƫlle said...

It broke my heart to turn down a case of mangoes but we were going out of town and I couldn't make it work. Hope you enjoyed yours!