Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spice Rack Challenge February: Orange French Toast


Yes, citrus is in season right now, but I always have a jar of dried orange peel on my shelf for when it isn't.  For this month's Spice Rack Challenge,  I wanted to share a favorite recipe for orange peel - either dried or fresh, it can be used interchangeably in this recipe.   Challah bread makes the best french toast....and it is a great hot breakfast for a busy weekday morning.

Orange French Toast - serves 1 (multiply for more)

1 T or so vegetable oil
2 slices your favorite bread (I like challah)
1 egg
1 teaspoon orange peel, either dried or freshly grated
1 T. water

In a nonstick pan, heat vegetable oil until hot.  Meanwhile, slice bread, and beat eggs, orange and water in a shallow bowl.  Dip bread slices in egg mixture, and brown on both sides in pan.  Tastes great with pure Michigan maple syrup - I like to buy it at the farmer's market, but one year I tapped a maple and a cottonwood to make my own syrup.   It's a ton of work!

2 comments:

CallieK said...

Oh yum!

Shayne said...

wonderful idea I will try the next time I make french toast, I always have some kind of citrus around I can zest