Thursday, April 08, 2010

Best-Ever Lemon Meringue Pie

I'm posting this recipe for a lemon meringue pie that I've had great success with....it is from an old Farm Journal cookbook.   I'm always on the lookout for Farm Journal cookbooks anytime I'm at a garage sale or used book sale.   They always have great recipes in them.   This one comes from Farm Journal's Best-Ever Recipes.   The trick to this pie is that some of the meringue is mixed in the lemon filling, and it makes it more creamy, less weepy and gummy. 



Best-Ever Lemon Meringue Pie
printer friendly
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup water
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 Tablespoons butter or regular margarine
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 baked 9-inch pie shell

Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in saucepan; heat to boiling. Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make smooth paste. Gradually add to boiling mixture, stirring constantly. Cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat.

Beat together egg yolks and lemon juice; stir into mixture. Return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles again. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon rind. Cover; cool to lukewarm.

Combine egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt in bowl; beat until frothy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until glossy peaks form. Stir 2 rounded Tablespoonfuls of meringue into lukewarm filling. Pour into pie shell. Top with remaining meringue, spreading evenly.

Bake in 325 F. oven 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We must be on the same wavelength- I just posted about lemon meringue pie today too! I made a bunch of lemon curd and used it in some crêpes. I posted a recipe for the crêpes but not the tarts, I'll just link to yours instead.

Diana Dyer said...

My favorite pie - I'll be sure to try your recipe someday, after we have finally moved! Also read down to see your post about the Orangette blog, which I had not heard of. I have sent my Seattle son the link to see if he has been to her new restaurant. I'll let you know whether he gives it yea or ney.
Diana

Andi said...

This is a favorite, found you while looking on ebay for the Farm Journal cookbooks, I have a good collection going and purchased two last evening on Amazon. Usually I get them at flea markets, antique stores etc. I have about 15 so far but I really want to complete the collection. I have made several recipes with them, my newest is a Tuna Macaroni Salad that came out the best!!! Thanks, will have to try the lemon pie that is a favorite. Andi thewednesdaybaker