Thursday, December 18, 2008

Weathergasm

Yes, we are in for a snow storm tonight, so says the National Weather Service. I admit it - I loved the weather. I even am a trained weatherspotter for my county. We're supposed to get 6 - 10 inches, which would be wonderful for Christmas. The kids are doing all the practices that currently are rumored to guarantee a snow day for tomorrow, which include:

  • wearing your pjs inside out
  • putting a spoon under your pillow
  • putting an ice cube in the toilet
  • placing a quarter on your windowsill
  • dancing in front of the refrigerator

I tried to explain that having a snow day tomorrow would be a bummer, because it's the last day before holiday break and there won't be much education going on anyway, but they don't care. They're already planning on sledding at our neighborhood hangout, which is called "Cardiac Hill" or simply "Cardiac" in the neighborhood vernacular. I think it's called that because it is a fast hill, but I know that I have felt near chest pangs hiking up it when the kids were small and I had to pull the sled up with them on it.

The whole thing is putting a wrench in my Christmas machinery, because I planned to take the afternoon off to finish the shopping. Fridays are my telecommuting work day, anyway, so I won't have to worry about the people that forgot how to drive in snow. This is Michigan, folks! You should now how to drive in it by now.

A favorite book of mine as a kid was "Snowbound with Betsy" by Carolyn Haywood. I should get that out of the library and reread it again. I wonder if my kids will have the fond memories of certain books like I still do from my childhood.

Bring on the snow - hope I am not disappointed.

4 comments:

TennZen said...

You're a SKYWARN spotter, too? You and I must have been separated at birth!

I love the snow ideas - ice cube in the toilet is a scream! I will have to tell my boys about those!

Cynthia said...

I can't believe you are a weathernerd, too, TennZen! Are you getting any snow down there?

Jen said...

Like you, I had some errands planned for today. Instead, I have male bodies lounging around (okay, granted one is working from home) while I'm trying to be all aflutter with "stuff". Bah Snow Humbug. ;-)

Sandy said...

I forgot all about "Snowbound with Betsy" - that was a great story. I am going to place a hold on that book as soon as I am done reading Mother's Kitchen.

I was supposed to work on the snow day, but my boss called everyone and told them not to try to drive in. I got to stay home and not feel guilty about not working - and they are paying us for the day.
Merry Christmas!