Friday, March 21, 2008

10 Insanely Delicious Things You Shouldn't Miss in Ann Arbor

We're having a snowstorm tonight - on the first day of spring, no less. And it is Good Friday! So far, 5 inches of snow has fallen on Ann Arbor. It's a good night to read blogs....Thanks to the Farmer's Marketer, I was inspired to compile my own list of 10 things to taste in Ann Arbor. Here they are, not in any particular order:

1. The beef brisket at Zingerman's Roadhouse. I'm not a huge fan of the Roadhouse, but their BBQ beef brisket is wonderful. I can pick up a pound of the brisket for $14, and it will feed my family of 4 on some cheap hamburger buns, which is the best way to eat it.

2. The goat cheese wrapped in chestnut leaves and soaked in bourbon at Morgan and York. This stuff is great - get some. It tastes nutty and rich and is wonderful for a picnic. Also, I love shopping at this store. Everyone is so friendly and knowledgeable.

3. The hot and sour soup at Kosmo's in Kerrytown. It isn't the typical hot and sour soup - it may not be on the chalkboard menu anymore but ask for it, they will have it. I asked the AA News to get the recipe, but they failed. Don (the owner) was kind enough to give me some suggestions. Here's my approximation of their terrific soup.

4. Apple cider and donuts from the Dexter Cider Mill. I only wish they'd start brewing some hard cider...

5. Deep fried pickles at the Sidetrack in Ypsi. I think Ypsi is the new Ann Arbor, don't you??? While we're at it, let's not forget...

6. Aubree's Pizza. They make the best "regular" pizza around - no organic potato and blue cheese kind of thing going on here, but that's okay. They make great pizza, period. Their feta bread is outstanding, too, and they make their own salad dressing for their antipasto salad. And they deliver to the...

7. Corner Brewery, where it is fun to sit in the biergarten and quaff some good brew and play board games. They don't serve much food, but many places deliver from Depot Town.

8. Dark chocolate Sea Foam candy at Kilwin's. I love Sea Foam, thanks to my sorority sister Eugene who was a huge fan. It's an old fashioned candy that's very hard to find, but Kilwin's has it in Ann Arbor.

9. Day old Zingerman's Bread. You can get it at the deli just inside the door to your left. Such a deal! Buy some of your favorite chacuterie there as well and make your own Z sandwich for half the price.

10. The Inspired Nachos at eve: the restaurant. Okay, anything at eve: the restaurant is good, but the nachos are always on the menu. Try them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In total agreement with Aubree's and the Corner (in fact, I order from Aubree's so much that they have my name programmed as "Patti at the Corner" :))
In fact, I am also in total agreement on the deep fried pickles (people who have never had them will look at me like I am nuts) and Dexter's donuts...yum!
I have never been to eve...too afraid of the menu prices! But I followed the link and found the appetizers in my budget :)
TeacherPatti

Anonymous said...

I've never had sea foam candy - but I think I'll have to give a try now. Great list!

Cynthia said...

I look forward to seeing your "10 Delicious" list on your blogs, Patti and Christina....